Shareholding and Board
- MEMBERS NOT CUSTOMERS!
Recognise tenants as the long term members of a Housing Association who provide its lifeblood turnover through their rents, by making them the shareholders of the company.
- All Board Members to be subject to re-election at shareholder AGMs, and a majority to be nominated and elected by tenant-shareholders.
- Both a Register of Board Members’ interests and a Statement of each member’s understanding of, and commitment to, social housing to be publically available and annually updated.
National Housing Federation
- A Government requirement that no hindrance or prohibition be put on Tenants or other Board Members freely discussing Board debates and decisions with tenants.
- A Similar requirement that no secrecy be practiced by HAs in the form of Non-Disclosure Contracts, pay-offs, bribes or threats.
- Duly constituted Tenant Organisations to be welcomed as full members of the NHF and the natural representatives of Social Housing.
- HAs above 20,000 households to be broken up into geographically coherent entities.
- A commitment by all HAs that they will at least maintain, and endeavour to increase the number of SOCIAL (approx 30% market) RENT TENANCIES.
- An absolute limit of £120,000 (4.5 times the National average salary) to be set for executive pay and all executive salaries which will be published on the HA’s website.
- Term of office of the CEO not to exceed the maximum term of of service for Board Members (currently 9 years according to NHF Guidelines)